Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Comforting vanilla, cardamon and cinnamon rice pudding

I must need a big hug today. Because that is really what I'm looking for from this rice pudding. A big and comforting hug.

Vanilla, cardamon & cinnamon rice pudding

The combination of the milk and vanilla is so simple, but also a call back from my childhood.  It's lunchtime and this is all I feel like eating, so rice pudding it is.
The cardamon brings this dish up to date and an adult touch - I love cooking with spices, and it gives an extra depth that counteracts the sweetness of the sugar/maple syrup.




Comforting vanilla, cardamon and cinnamon rice pudding (adapted from Sophie Dahl's recipe)

Ingredients:
1.4 litres milk (of your choice)
1 cinnamon stick
8 cardamon pods, seeds only
300g basmati rice
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g golden caster sugar (or raw) or alternatively 175ml maple syrup
150g raisins
55g flaked almonds

Serves 6. (I usually make half quantities of this recipe)

Preparing the cardamon pods

Method:
Pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan along with the cinnamon stick and the cardamon seeds. Bring to just before boiling point (when you see small bubbles) and then stir in the rice and vanilla extract.


Heating the milk with the cinnamon quill & cardamon seeds


Simmer on a low heat for 25-30 minutes, stiring to ensure it doesn't stick to the pan.

When the rice is a wet risotto-type consistency (but still has bite) add in the raisins, almonds, sugar/maple syrup and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes.  You can add more milk at this point if necessary.

Serve immediately. 
This goes really well with stewed fruit such as plums, rhubarb and apples if you feel like making an extra element.


6 comments:

  1. Oh how gorgeous, I love the flavours here. I will definitely make this, thanks :) Hope it gave you the hug you needed!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    You have a lovely site. I would love to add you to the list of Australian Baking Sites I maintain.

    Cookies & Cupcakes,
    The Cake Mistress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to eat this RIGHT NOW! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the spices you have in there, this is one of my favourite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so good!
    and also, congrats on the new camera! im looking forward to seeing your new photography :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi betty, thanks so much for visiting! it was lovely to discover a new blog today too - so much to look at.
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!