Thursday, May 23, 2013

First look at Williams-Sonoma (and Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn kids!)


I've been dying to get to Williams-Sonoma ever since it opened earlier in the month in Bondi Junction.  I've been a long time lurker on the US website, and apparently I was one of many Sydneysiders doing the same, prompting the first Australian store opening here.



I went along with my friend Sally, and our collection of four kids. We must have been mad. Luckily for us we didn't *need* anything, otherwise the kids may have been a serious disadvantage to getting some real shopping done.

Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn kids and West Elm are all next to each other, in the pedestrian section of Bondi Junction, just across the road from the Bondi Junction Westfield.

Williams-Sonoma is truly a stunning kitchenware shop. My sort of heavenly. Everything is immaculately displayed, there are heaps of very knowledgeable staff, there is a cooking school, and the range is incredible. They sell all sorts of items that are not readily available in Australia, like All Clad and Nordic Ware.  The staff have all been brought over from the States for the first year of business here. I definitely got an American level of service, despite the store being super busy.

Here are my pick of a few special items:

 
Yellow signature Le Creuset collection. You can't buy this colour anywhere else, and yes it totally is a perfect yellow to continue my yellow obsession.

Emile Henry pie dishes. They had an entire section dedicated to these, more than I've ever seen in one shop. I have a blue one (quite similar to this white one below) and use it all the time, not just for pies but also for baking veggies and also for serving.


This Nordic Ware Hong Kong-style egg waffle maker also caught my eye. I've been wanting a waffle maker for a while now, but haven't found many in Australia. The ones I have found are all electric, and this gas top one was very beautiful, and solid. I'm not totally sold on the less conventional waffle shape though?  Any thoughts on this?

The copper pots on display also left me dreaming. I would love one of these, even just for decoration purposes!





 They also had lot of imported food and food items. I'm so happy to know that I will be able to buy all the sanding sugars and sprinkles for cake decoration - they are seriously hard to come by here.


But husband, I was so well behaved and walked away with only an $8 ravioli cutter. Can't wait to make my first batch of ravioli!
 

Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn were next stop. Again, the stores are beautiful. Not over-full, but lots to see. They offer lots of help to shoppers as well as complimentary planning services. Oh to plan a nursery with those ladies!


The bedding in particular seemed so reasonably priced, and most things can be mixed and matched, not to mention monogrammed! Our kids loved the kids kitchen area where you can buy amazing retro-style kitchens and all the accessories for play. So cute.

All photos are mine or are from the Williams-Sonoma website.  All of these stores will send anything to any part of Australia, and I think they are opening a Melbourne store soonish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!