Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Yellow Soup (Pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot)

Many of my friends might think that I would be the sort of person who would enjoy going to a naturopath. They could be right, but I would actually rather spend money on other things... like a massage for example. But a while back I decided that I would give it a go as I was having some problems with my skin. I found the whole set up very interesting, entertaining even, but not something that has changed my life, or my skin for that matter. Anyway, the point of all this is that the one thing I took away was that yellow & orange fruit and vegetables are good for my blood/personality type (however, not citrus). And I do crave yellow veggies in particular through winter.
Cumin is really the hero here - a wonderful spice that adds winter warmth to anything it touches. not to mention that hint of sunshine.
I've been making this yellow soup every week since it got cold really. I'm not very measured with what I put in, but I'll try to estimate for my first blog post:

1kg pumpkin, chopped
500g sweet potato, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped roughly
100ml milk
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 bunch fresh coriander
500ml Vegetable or chicken stock (liquid or powdered)

Fry the onion until translucent.
Then add the pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots along with the stock. Bring up to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Leave on a low/medium heat for half an hour.
Then use a stick blender in the pot to blend the soup to a thick consistency.
Then add the milk, cumin and chilli powder and leave on low heat for another 5 mins.
Next add the fresh coriander either use the stick blender to get the coriander through the soup, or just add as a garnish

Serve with some greek yogurt and wholegrain toast.  Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!