Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Veggie heaven: chickpea curry

My spice cupboard is beginning to overflow. With spices that I'd never heard of before I started getting into curries. I really did think that Nigella was a made up name, like a female Nigel, but it turns out that there is a seed by the same name. Who knew.
I've spent much of the Australian winter trying out different curry recipes, they are a wonderful comfort food, and really very healthy when you make them yourself. The curry paste jars are great for a very easy meal, but they require you to ladle in the cream and are very fatty and indulgent as a result.
Last night I tried out a new chickpea curry - I liked the sound of having a slightly bigger bean as the core ingredient in this veggie curry.

Ingredients
420g tinned chickpeas (or soaked chickpeas)
1/2 cup ghee (I use a mixture of butter and canola oil)
1 1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds (not ground)
2 chopped onions
6 cloves garlic
1 tomato, chopped
1 chilli pepper, finely chopped
1Tbsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped coriander

Heat a large pan and add in ghee (or butter/oil mix). Toast cumin seeds until they begin to spit.
Add the onions until they have a little colour (5-10 mins). Then add and saute the garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chilli pepper, garam masala, turmeric, fenugreek, salt, cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes.
Next, add in the chickpeas and once stirred through, pour in a cup of water. Allow the spices to filter through for the next 20 minutes.

Once ready, stir in the chopped coriander and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!